The Minnesota Golden Gophers are headed to the Oregon State Beavers’ home for the first time in their history. Here are six predictions for Saturday’s game.
- Kiondre Thomas and Antoine Winfield Jr. both record an interception. The defense will be instrumental in this game yet again, and takeaways will be key in throwing quarterback Jake Luton off his game. The best players in the secondary will step up and make plays.
- The Beavers’ quarterback, Luton, throws for over 250 yards. This offense is still going to move the ball, but the key for the Gophers is to make this team a 20-20 team, holding them in the middle of the field.
- Minnesota linebacker Jonathan Celestin records first sack of the year. The blitz packages will be more aggressive in this game than last game. Against the University of Buffalo, the game plan was to stop the run and force young quarterback Tyree Johnson to pass. Saturday they will be after Luton.
- Shannon Brooks breaks out this game. The lightweight PAC-12 defense of the Beavers will be perfect for the bulldozing back to run through. While both backs need to find a rhythm, this game gets Brooks on track.
- Tyler Johnson has 160 yards and another touchdown. Most of the receivers against Buffalo had trouble separating from the coverage except the Minneapolis North product. Johnson was a monster and had catches of 61, 22 and 17 yards. He is the deep threat the Gophers need to free up the running game.
- Minnesota beats Oregon State, covering the +2 points they are getting. As of right now the two-point dogs are +110 on the money line, which is a solid bet with a great defense to back it.