With Big Dog Mercedes Lewis likely on his way to the New York Jets the Green Bay Packers seem to have their eye on a draft prospect who could quickly become known as Big Dog Jr.
Darnell Washington, the monster 6 ft 7 Georgia tight end, is in Green Bay today according to his Instagram.
Washington was an absolute multi-sport beast at Desert Plains High School in Las Vegas. He was a standout two-way player for the football team and averaged 11 points and 12 rebounds per game as a basketball star. He was rated one of the top 25 recruits in the country before joining the Georgia Bulldogs ready to play as a true freshman.
His production increased each year at Georgia playing in 34 total games in his 3-year career. He started his Junior season on the preseason watch list for the John Mackey award(given to the nation’s outstanding collegiate tight end) and ended hauling in 26 catches for 417 yards and 2 touchdowns with a QB rating of 105.9 when targeted.
Despite having some non NFL ready areas, as all tight ends do, his list of scouting report strengths according to Draft Buzz read incredibly.
– Washington is a huge tight end standing 6-7 and weighing in at 270lbs – who has the power and drive-blocking ability of a tackle
– As a blocker Washington is elite, he stands out as elite as a run blocker and you could easily mistake him for a seasoned pulling guard
– As a pass blocker he is outstanding and easily handles blitzing LBs on the edge. In the 72 instances when he was used strictly in pass protection he didn’t give up a single pressure
– Elite catch radius and has impressive soft strong hands to help pull down errant passes
– He’s a powerful open-field runner with agility, and surprising quickness and speed given his size
– Knee-bend and technique are good and Washington shows decent power when his hands hit the target.
– His long arms allow him to play bigger even bigger than his size, which is scary, and he has a frame that can carry even more weight
– He’s a coordinated hands catcher who does a nice job digging out low throws. He’s very good with the ball in his hands, a violent runner after the catch, and often able to fend off defenders with a straight arm.
– Washington has a tapered build and strong hands, ripping the ball back with ease when defensive backs manage to get a hold of it.
– He’s very good in contested-catch situations, using his frame effectively to make plays facing the quarterback. He also shows a knack for high-pointing the ball, consistently outmuscling defensive backs.
His YouTube highlight reel is sure to hype any Cheeshead up.
A gigantic tight end who loves to block and can also bring the ball in? No wonder this guy is getting Mercedes Lewis comparisons and no wonder he’s in Green Bay taking a look around today.